Here at Nannie Berry, we are always looking for ways that we can help our students learn to their full capacity, allowing them to grow in confidence that will last them a lifetime.We are made aware more and more every year that proper nutrition plays a huge role in how a child focuses on and retains information that is given to them while in school.For this reason, we have a program here called the “Backpack Program.”
- A program that provides students in need of nourishment over the weekend with nutritious and easy to prepare food for Saturday and Sunday.It is packed in a zip lock bag that can easily be slipped into students’ backpacks.
- As best we can, we support this program through private donations, donations from local churches, food drives done by our Compass partners, and food drives done here at NBE
- Volunteers pack a specified number of bags, and then on Friday, they are placed into the backpacks of the qualifying students by school teacher, counselor, etc. while all other students are out of the classroom.
- A list of students is compiled using several different methods by school administrators.Parents/Guardians can also contact the school if they feel their family could use this service.
- Meals start going home as soon as students are identified at the beginning of school and continue until the end of school unless it is determined the student/family is no longer in need
- Students can receive this help as long as they need it.We realize that some needs are short term, while other needs will remain.
*snack items (chewy granola bars, fruit snacks, fruit roll-ups, individual plastic pudding